Monday, June 9, 2008

Secrets

I'm pretty good at keeping other people's secrets, but I'm pretty awful at keeping secrets of my own. I know we "all" have secrets, but I'm pretty open about things so I'm not sure how deep I'd have to dig to think of a juicy tidbit.

I don't know what it is, but the thought of hearing secrets draws me in. Even the secrets of strangers. I think this is a huge part of celebrity "gossip" fun. We're learning "secrets" about famous folks who are more likely as normal and boring as we see ourselves and most secret "revelations" are at least 50% untrue. Maybe other people's secrets make us realize we're all pretty similar. I think a lot of what we build up and keep hidden instead of sharing isn't really as big a deal as we think. Sharing info and secrets is what makes us close and have meaningful relationships. Why try to keep up a fake front?

This blog was triggered by a very interesting project called PostSecret. According to the web site, "PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard."
One quote from the ringleader is a great explanation:
"Each secret that's exposed, it really allows us to be more of ourself."

Check out secrets here: PostSecret

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A coworker recently let me in on some office gossip, but prefaced it with "I don't like to talk about people...."

I said, "I do, so go on."