I like old recipes, especially those from family. I'm lucky to have a few of my Grandma Ann's recipes, which I received last year. My sister framed a couple with a picture of my Grandma and I shared the gift last year. I will share a few recipes from my family along the way, but in the mean time I want to log a simple recipe that I found, just to make sure I try it in the near future! The ingredients just seem simple and classic. It'd be a fun recipe to experiment with and make your own version. It's from another family you may have heard of...
Barbara Bush's Shortberad
White House Cookbook, by Hugo Ziemann and F.L. Gillette
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4/ cup sifted powdered sugar
2 T granulated sugar and/or desired colored sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. Beat butter on medium speed 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar. Beat until mixed. Beat in flour mixture.
2. Press dough into an ungreased 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Prick top of dough all over with a fork. Sprinkle with granulated and/or colored sugar.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert shortbread onto a cutting board. Turn shortbread top side up. Cut into 1-inch squares while warm. Cool on wire rack. Makes 49.
To store: Layer between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment